Saturday 17 November 2012

Life is a rollercoaster...

Monday 12th November.  What a day of ups and downs!

As I had mentioned, I put a whole load of new kit into my amazon basket, and on Monday I used vouchers from work to hit submit on the order.  I was feeling very pleased with myself because I had managed to get a few bargains - two pairs of running socks for £3.99, two long sleeved wicking tops for only £4.99 each in the sale, a pair of thermal running trousers and a thermal running top.

In the afternoon I had a doctors appointment to have a blood pressure test to make sure my medication is working, and thankfully it was great (110 over 80 which for me is a flippin miracle!).  I have also been referred for a dodgy mole so chased that up, and finally spoke a little about my aches and pains.  I have to say, the doctor was new, and it felt a bit to me like she was in a rush.  As such I didn't feel the inclination to go into too much detail with her, but she prescribed me some codeine for pain relief, again told me to rest, and also told me that I should under no circumstances be taking ibuprofen whilst exercising with my medical history.  I was pretty surprised by that, and would have pressed her for an explanation but as I said, she was in a rush so the most I got from her was that my body would struggle to process it with one kidney and being on medication for my blood pressure (whilst putting my coat on and being ushered towards the door).  Weird, but hey, I now have a LOT of codeine and suffice to say I have been in a lot less pain this week!

When I got home, the post had arrived and there was a pack for me from Cancer Research UK which contained my marathon vest.  I was expecting the usual turquoise, so it was with a smile on my face that I opened the packaging to reveal a really rather fetching vest in dark purple, pink and white.  It might sound funny but receiving the vest made me feel a little excited and emotional!  Little things like that make the whole thing seem very real, and when I think about it I do still get butterflies!  I had decided to take the week off running in order to rest the groin strain and various other injuries, so seeing the vest that I will be wearing on the day gave me a little lift.

I had already decided that I would like to add names to my marathon vest of all the people I know who have been affected by cancer.  Those that have fought the battle and won, those still fighting, and those who have fought the battle and lost.  I figure these people are my motivation and so I'd like to have them with me for the whole journey.  I have a list of 9 names so far and I decided I would sew the names onto my vest with silver thread.

Later that evening, I was perusing facebook as you do, and I saw the news that one of my good friends has aggressive breast cancer.  It completely floored me to read that.  We exchanged texts, and privately I had a good old cry.  I just can't believe that this is happening to my lovely friend.

And just like that, I have another name to add to my vest.  Just like that.

So today I took my vest to a craft shop in Reading in order to match the best colour thread so that I can start adding these names.  Whilst in there I discovered a fab range of buttons, and so my plan has now changed.  Each of those 10 people will have a button with their name on it sewn onto my running top.

This is for you guys;
Kat, Claire, Tina, Alison, Joleen, Daithi, Kevin, Freda, Tony and Zeph.


No comments:

Post a Comment